The word concatenate is just another way of saying "to combine" or "to join together." The CONCATENATE function allows you to combine text from different cells into one cell.
In this example, we'll merge the "FirstName" and "LastName" fields into one name.
1. Open the Excel file and insert a new column for the combined text.
2. In the new column, place your cursor in the field where you want the first combined name to appear.
3. Enter the following equation: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",B2)
The equation instructs the CONCATENATE function which cells to combine. In our example, we want to combine the text in cells A2 and B2. The " " (two double quotes around a space) will insert a space between the two names.
4. You can copy the equation in preceding cells to continue the function.
5. The cells in column C are actually equations. However, you can copy the names and paste them into the new spreadsheet by clicking Paste>Paste Values.